To: Keith Moore <moore@cs.utk.edu>
Cc: Ted.Hardie@nominum.com, Edward Lewis <lewis@tislabs.com>, keydist@cafax.se
From: Derek Atkins <warlord@MIT.EDU>
Date: 09 Jan 2002 16:49:30 -0500
Sender: owner-keydist@cafax.se
Subject: Re: From whence we came...

Keith Moore <moore@cs.utk.edu> writes:

> mumble.  My trust in ssh keys is based on prior experience in using
> that key to interact with a particular host - hopefully the key

If you go read the archive, you will notice that a couple days ago I
sent a suggested "ssh key validation protocol" that uses DNSSec for
extra validation of ssh keys during the initial-contact period.  If a
key isn't in your cache, you can use DNSSec to improve the validation
of that key.

> is initially obtained over a network that is secure or unlikely to
> be compromised, or the key obtained in this manner can be verified
> out-of-band.  Trust in DNSSEC is based on different factors.

This is indeed the problem that DNSSec can solve -- helping secure
the key for initial contact.

> While I wouldn't mind having the ability to verify ssh keys using
> DNSSEC, I wouldn't necessarily want DNSSEC verification axiomiatically
> treated as valid by ssh.

This is an application/user decision.  One would hope that the
application designer would give you this option.  However that does
not invalidate the usefulness of DNSSec as stated.

> And this is still a different issue from putting ssh keys directly
> in DNS.

Oh?  Why?

[snip]
> Offhand that sounds like a good scope.  I might also include IP addresses.

Um, yea, *blush*, sorry, of course IP addresses, too.

> Keith

-derek