To: EPP Provreg <ietf-provreg@cafax.se>
From: Klaus Malorny <Klaus.Malorny@knipp.de>
Date: Wed, 10 Feb 2010 14:14:58 +0100
Sender: owner-ietf-provreg@cafax.se
Subject: Re: off-list was Re: [ietf-provreg] Revision of 4310

On 05/02/10 14:18, Ulrich Wisser wrote:
> Hi,
>
>> 1. Don’t include any additional elements. This means that the server
>> would either validate the passed DS inline with the EPP
>> transaction or would publish all DS that is passed.
>
> This would be my favorite option. Sorry Eduardo!
>
>> 2. Add a new optional element in the secDNS:dsData (DS Interface) and
>> secDNS:keyData (Key Interface) elements of secDNS:infData. I
>> propose the use of the secDNS:published element.

Hi all,

I have to admit that I have not yet fully understood the purpose of the
<published> element for each key/DS entry in the domain:info response.

Shall it reflect the outcome of an asynchronous verification of the specified
key data against the actual data in the child zone? Or shall it simply denote
that the respective DS record is now visible on all name servers of the parent zone?

In both cases, I see the problem that the registrar needs to periodically check
the domain in order to detect a "magical" change of the value from "false" to
"true". Being responsible for thousands to millions of domains, a registrar
might create a considerable extra load on his and the registry's servers for the
periodical submission of <domain:info> requests. Wouldn't it be better to create
a poll message for that state change which can be retrieved via the <poll> request?

In the first case, I wonder whether this would match the general processing
model of EPP. If an asynchronous check is performed, wouldn't the respective
<domain:create> and <domain:update> requests be required to return a
1001/"Command completed successfully; action pending" response, enter the
"pendingCreate"/"pendingUpdate" state until completion, with the respective poll
message at the end?

In the second case, I would like to also refer to a posting of myself to the
list last November[1].

Regards

Klaus

[1] http://www.cafax.se/ietf-provreg/maillist/2009-11/msg00028.html