To: EPP Provreg <ietf-provreg@cafax.se>
Cc: ed.lewis@neustar.biz
From: Edward Lewis <Ed.Lewis@neustar.biz>
Date: Fri, 5 Feb 2010 09:44:34 -0500
Sender: owner-ietf-provreg@cafax.se
Subject: [ietf-provreg] My verision of MaxSigLife's history was Re: ... 03 AD Feedback

Title: My verision of MaxSigLife's history was Re: ... 03 AD Feed
The MaxSigLife was intended to limit the span of time an attacker could replay the DS record after acquiring (through stealing or cryptanalysis) the private key.

If (for example) this sequence of events happens:

on the 1st day of the month you put a key pair into service (meaning the parent publishes a DS record and signs from the 1st to the 31st)
on the 3rd day someone hacks in and copies the key pair out
on the 4th day you detect this and place a new keypair into service (meaning the parent deletes the old DS and puts in a new one, and generates a new signature)

The attacker can replay the parent's RRSIG of the DS set with your broken key until the 31st and verifiers will still consider the the key good.  This is because there was no revocation in DNSSEC (prior to RFC 5011).

When 4310 was written, some in the DNSOP WG felt that the child should be able to curtail the window of abuse opportunity by letting the child request a shorter (or longer) signature duration than the parent's default.

That's the motivation.

But, of the folks with the most experience with this at the time of 4310's development, no one wanted to add this.  It was added at the insistence of folks in the DNSOP WG.  So it was added and made optional.

I would recommend against using it.  A signature's duration ought to be a function of the strength and reliability of the key generating it, making it a parent's internal matter.  I really haven't thought much about this wrinkle, but with RFC 5011, it's probably no longer needed for any reason.