To: Andrew Sullivan <ajs@shinkuro.com>, EPP Provreg <ietf-provreg@cafax.se>
From: James Gould <jgould@verisign.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 2010 09:44:40 -0500
Sender: owner-ietf-provreg@cafax.se
Subject: Re: [ietf-provreg] Revision of 4310

Title: Re: [ietf-provreg] Revision of 4310
Andrew,

I don’t understand why the client wouldn’t just add the DS when it becomes active to the server instead of pre-publishing and activating.  Adding an active attribute adds a new model that could cause confusion for the clients interfacing with different servers and it doesn’t really add anything that can’t be handled today by the client.  Adding another attribute that could change frequently like an active flag could pose an issue of support with the secDNS:add, secDNS:rem, and secDNS:chg, where the only way to change the attribute is to use a secDNS:add and secDNS:rem of the same DS (or key), or use the secDNS:chg to replace all DS (or key) data.  I believe this interface is acceptable for the optional maxSigLife attribute, but would become onerous for a more frequently used attribute like an active flag.

--

JG

James F. Gould
Principal Software Engineer
VeriSign Naming Services
jgould@verisign.com
Direct: 703.948.3271
Mobile: 703.628.7063

21345 Ridgetop Circle
LS2-2-1
Dulles, VA 20166

Notice to Recipient:
This e-mail contains confidential, proprietary and/or Registry  Sensitive information intended solely for the recipient and, thus may not be  retransmitted, reproduced or disclosed without the prior written consent of  VeriSign Naming and Directory Services.  If you have received  this e-mail message in error, please notify the sender immediately by  telephone or reply e-mail and destroy the original message without making a  copy.  Thank you.