To: ietf-provreg@cafax.se
From: Bernie Hoeneisen <bernie@ietf.hoeneisen.ch>
Date: Mon, 25 Jan 2010 17:09:12 +0100 (CET)
Sender: owner-ietf-provreg@cafax.se
Subject: [ietf-provreg] XML Schema versioning in 4310bis

Hi

As already pointed out to the authors of draft-gould-rfc4310bis, I see an
issue with the version numbering of the XML Schema. Although rfc4310bis
changes the XML schema defined in RFC 4310, it intends to reuse the
version number.

From implementor point of view this is a very bad idea. It leads to
confusion and inconsistencies, in particular in the transition phasis. How
should an EPP Client figure out the capabilities of the EPP Server? The
repsonse to hello won't be useful to distiguish which schema applies.

I run into a similar problem while implementing RFC 5076. As there was a
change in the schema during the standardization process, I even needed to
distinguish between early I-D implementions and the final version of the
XML schema. I solved it by incrementing the sub-version of the XML schema.
See: http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc5076#section-7

Therefore I strongly recommend to increment the (sub-)version number of
the XML Schema for 4310bis to 1.1

During transition period, the server can announce both versions and the
client knows what it is up to.

cheers,
  Bernie