To: Andrew Sullivan <ajs@shinkuro.com>
Cc: EPP Provreg <ietf-provreg@cafax.se>
From: Patrik Fältström <paf@cisco.com>
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 2010 17:34:11 +0100
Sender: owner-ietf-provreg@cafax.se
Subject: Re: [ietf-provreg] new epp commands?

On 19 jan 2010, at 16.29, Andrew Sullivan wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 19, 2010 at 04:21:07PM +0100, Patrik Fältström wrote:
>>
>> IRIS solves a different problem. If you want to sync two databases with epp interface, you definitely want to use epp, as such things like roid, relationship between records etc is absolutely crucial.
>
> I thought there was a way to get every single thing you could get in
> EPP via IRIS.  No?  (I'm prepared to be wrong.  Afilias was never
> really interested in the IRIS stuff, so I read the documents &
> commented a little but didn't put a lot of effort into it.)

Yes, of course you _can_, but it is much easier if the database structure etc is exactly the same for every record you want to work with.

> I wonder, however, whether it's even a good idea to sync two
> databases, especially via EPP.  My time as a database geek taught me
> nothing so much as that having two authoritative sources for data is a
> way to be sure that one of them is wrong.

Well, that is how a thick registry works. By having epp as a synchronization protocol. If the registry is to have the information about who is the holder of each domain, while the registrar is to invoice the customer, the registrar definitely also will have information about the same holder. Transfer of domains and contacts, and updates of contact etc information ends up being an "interesting" game where both parties are moving around the pieces on the chess board at the same time.

In this case, we more or less only talk about the ability for the registrar to issue a query like:

- What domains am I sponsor for?

- What contacts am I sponsor for?

Etc.

   Patrik