To: Andrew Sullivan <ajs@shinkuro.com>, EPP Provreg <ietf-provreg@cafax.se>
From: James Gould <jgould@verisign.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Nov 2009 10:25:50 -0500
Sender: owner-ietf-provreg@cafax.se
Subject: Re: [ietf-provreg] Is there a 4310-bis document?

All,

Išve attached a proposed XML schema based on hitting on points 1, 2, 3, and
5  from the list below.  Points 4 and 6 will be addressed in the draft.
Please review the XML schema and let me know if there are any issues.

1. Maintains XML schema backward compatibility
2. Support the ability to add and remove in the same command
3. Support the ability to specify either keyTag or all of the dsData
attributes for a remove.
4. Add clarity around the chg functioning as a replace.
5. Add support for a keyData or a dsData interface for Registries that
intend to manage the DS data generation.  I intend to have the XML schema
support both, but to specify that the server MUST support only one or the
other.
6. Add a SHOULD statement around the server returning an error for wildcard
deletes to address one of the main concerns around unexpected side effects
of the rem matching multiple DS records with the same keyTag.

Are there any other points that need to be addressed?

I made the dsData (DS Data Interface) and keyData (Key Data Interface)
mutually exclusive, so by the XML schema there is no mixing of the two
interfaces while maintaining backward compatibility with RFC 4310.  I'm
really looking for feedback from the registries planning to support the Key
Data Interface.  I'm assuming that with the Key Data Interface that no DS
data is passed (command or response) since it's being completely managed by
the server.  Adding DS data to the Key Data Interface adds complexities
since the server could create multiple DS records for an individual key.  I
also assume that the server must choose either the DS Data Interface or the
Key Data Interface to make the protocol clear to the clients.  Supporting
the Key Data Interface is a significant change to the draft so I want to
ensure that it is meeting the requirements for those who plan on using it.

Thanks,

--

JG

James F. Gould
Principal Software Engineer
VeriSign Naming Services
jgould@verisign.com
Direct: 703.948.3271
Mobile: 703.628.7063

21345 Ridgetop Circle
LS2-2-1
Dulles, VA 20166

Notice to Recipient:  This e-mail contains confidential, proprietary and/or
Registry  Sensitive information intended solely for the recipient and, thus
may not be  retransmitted, reproduced or disclosed without the prior written
consent of  VeriSign Naming and Directory Services.  If you have received
this e-mail message in error, please notify the sender immediately by
telephone or reply e-mail and destroy the original message without making a
copy.  Thank you.

Conversation: [ietf-provreg] Is there a 4310-bis document?

Andrew,

I can take the task of creating a draft update based on a compromise
discussed on this list that meets the following points.  Can you forward me
the draft XML that you created?

1. Maintains XML schema backward compatibility
2. Support the ability to add and remove in the same command
3. Support the ability to specify either keyTag or all of the dsData
attributes for a remove.
4. Add clarity around the chg functioning as a replace.
5. Add support for a keyData or a dsData interface for Registries that
intend to manage the DS data generation.  I intend to have the XML schema
support both, but to specify that the server MUST support only one or the
other.
6. Add a SHOULD statement around the server returning an error for wildcard
deletes to address one of the main concerns around unexpected side effects
of the rem matching multiple DS records with the same keyTag.

I believe the best route is to keep the interface as close as possible to
RFC 4310, but with updates to address the main interface issues.  There are
systems in Production and will be in Production shortly that should have a
smooth migration path to the updated draft.

Any suggestions that the list has with any of these items, please let me
know.  Once I have the draft created Išll send it out the list for review.

Thanks,