To: Howard Eland <heland@afilias.info>
CC: Klaus Malorny <Klaus.Malorny@knipp.de>, EPP Provreg <ietf-provreg@cafax.se>
From: James Gould <jgould@verisign.com>
Date: Fri, 30 Oct 2009 14:52:15 -0400
Sender: owner-ietf-provreg@cafax.se
Subject: Re: [ietf-provreg] Anyone working on 4310-bis?

Title: Re: [ietf-provreg] Anyone working on 4310-bis?
Eland,

“I was under the impression that the selectType idea was pretty much dead.”

The comment is associated with the use of elements versus attributes and less on whether all of the elements are required or optional.  The optional scheme is like the selectType idea, where a set of attributes/elements could match more then one DS record.  Either attributes or elements work, but one of the earlier points was that digest is not really an attribute of a keyTag and similarly alg is not an attribute of a digest.  The elements are cleaner.

“If I once again go back to RFC 5731, I see that non-unique attributes of an element that is to be selected for the rem command are optional.  If we want to keep the EPP flavor, then I'd suggest that we only require the digest itself, and make the others optional.”

I suggest that we just make all four required to be consistent with the add and chg.  There is a statistical chance (yes, very remote chance)  of producing the same digest for two different DS records, so it’s cleanest to remove any chance of matching duplicate DS records.  I don’t believe that it’s overly burdensome to pass all four attributes on a rem to remove any ambiguity.

I’m still not sure what is wrong with Klaus’s proposal.  Is it really too burdensome to pass all four attributes to a remove?  I have to assume that everyone is fine with support for add and rem in the same command like is the case for contacts and name servers in domains and ip addresses for hosts.

--

JG

James F. Gould
Principal Software Engineer
VeriSign Naming Services
jgould@verisign.com
Direct: 703.948.3271
Mobile: 703.628.7063

21345 Ridgetop Circle
LS2-2-1
Dulles, VA 20166

Notice to Recipient:
This e-mail contains confidential, proprietary and/or Registry  Sensitive information intended solely for the recipient and, thus may not be  retransmitted, reproduced or disclosed without the prior written consent of  VeriSign Naming and Directory Services.  If you have received  this e-mail message in error, please notify the sender immediately by  telephone or reply e-mail and destroy the original message without making a  copy.  Thank you.