To: EPP Provreg <ietf-provreg@cafax.se>
From: Ulrich Wisser <liste@publisher.de>
Date: Wed, 28 Oct 2009 12:45:54 +0100
Sender: owner-ietf-provreg@cafax.se
Subject: Re: [ietf-provreg] Anyone working on 4310-bis?

Here at .SE we implemented 4310. As pointed out earlier there is
potential for further development. ;)

The first problem is the update tag as it doesn't allow add and rem in
the same command. This definition could be changed (with backwards
compatibility) from <choice> to <sequence>.

The bigger problem is the secDNS:rem tag. As pointed out additional
information (alg, digestType) is needed. At .SE we use SHA-1 and SHA-256
by default for all keys. Try "dig @a.ns.se dnssec.se DS" for example.

In the past months I have seen many registrars struggle with the rem tag
because it works fundamentally different from the rest of EPP.

I would propose several solutions:

A. totally backward compatible
    Add optional attributes to the secDNS:keyTag tag. But this would
mean that alg and digesttype are attributes to keytag which isn't really
the case. Backward compatible but not a clean solution.

B. Not backward compatible
Revamp the whole rem tag and insert a new grouping like
<secDNS:rem>
   <secDNS:dsData>
     <secDNS:keytag/>
     <secDNS:alg/>
     <secDNS:digestType/>
   </secDNS:dsData>
   <secDNS:dsData>
     <secDNS:keytag/>
     <secDNS:alg/>
     <secDNS:digestType/>
   </secDNS:dsData>
<secDNS:rem>
This would make the whole thing work more like the rest of EPP.

And while we are at it I would like to propose another change:

The add command (as well as update) uses the secDNS:dsDataType. Which
makes keytag, alg, digestType and digest mandatory. I know that .SE and
other registries considered to become a "fat" registry and take in the
public keys instead of the ds records. The DS records would be computed
from the public keys according to registry policies.
This case is not covered by 4310.

Kind Regards

Ulrich

--