To: EPP Provreg <ietf-provreg@cafax.se>
From: Howard Eland <heland@afilias.info>
Date: Tue, 27 Oct 2009 18:27:10 -0500
Sender: owner-ietf-provreg@cafax.se
Subject: Re: [ietf-provreg] Anyone working on 4310-bis?

There's a lot of ways to skin this cat.  All of them that I can see
involve an RFC update (even if it's just for clarification).  So, I
seem to be hearing "yes, fix this, but hurry up about it".  If this is
the case, then is there anything else that folks would like to see in
4310-bis?
(who has the worm-can opener?)

Other comments below.

On Oct 27, 2009, at 4:31 PM, James Gould wrote:

> I'm glad that this thread has come up, since I too was going to
> propose
> something similar to option 1 but with making the specification change
> backward compatible.  We are implementing to 4310 for .com, .net,
> and .edu
> with no additional extensions.  We see the issue with use of just the
> keyTag, since it is derived and is not unique.  There are use cases
> where
> for the same key, which means the same keyTag, there could be multiple
> digest types and algorithms.  My proposal is to add optional
> attributes
> (alg, digestType, and digest) to the <secDNS:keyTag> element of
> <secDNS:rem>
> and to add verbiage for the registries to match the DS record for
> the delete
> based on all of the passed information.  If there is more than one
> matching
> DS record for the input, than an error must be returned.

I'd rather not include the digest itself here, since the <keyTag,
algID, digestType> tuple uniquely identify the DS record.

I'm not sure we have to maintain backwards compatibility, but,
assuming we do, an error could be returned anytime multiple DS records
are matched, as you suggest, or we could also affect the remove
against all records that match those attributes sent in (in other
words, the default is to match all for any given attribute).

>  The following is
> what I would propose for the XML schema change:

[...]

> One additional proposed change is to clarify the use of the
> <secDNS:chg> to
> state something like “is used to replace all existing DS information
> with
> new DS information”.  The information associated with the specified
> keyTag’s
> is not the only information changed, since the interpretation is
> that the
> <secDNS:dsData> elements provided with the <secDNS:chg> is a wholesale
> replacement of the all of the existing dsData information.  Have any
> of the
> registries interpreted the <secDNS:chg> in a different way?

To make <secDNS:chg> the most versatile, I'd still like to have the
ability to specify the other attributes.  That way, it can be used to
change one or more DS records, as opposed to having to replicate all
DS records to change one.  This would make syntax similar to
<secDNS:rem>, and would still be backwards compatible: if you don't
specify the keyTag or any other attributes, then they all change.

-Howard