To: Patrik Fältström <paf@cisco.com>
CC: "Hollenbeck, Scott" <shollenbeck@verisign.com>, <Chris.Newman@Sun.COM>, EPP Provreg <ietf-provreg@cafax.se>
From: James Gould <jgould@verisign.com>
Date: Fri, 03 Apr 2009 09:30:34 -0400
Sender: owner-ietf-provreg@cafax.se
Subject: Re: [ietf-provreg] RE: Standards Track Advancement Request for EPPRFCs

Title: Re: [ietf-provreg] RE: Standards Track Advancement Request for EPP RFCs
Patrik,

Interesting that there is another model that you're taking for external hosts.  So to summarize, the following models exist for the management of external hosts:

  1. External hosts don’t have a sponsoring client, meaning once they are created they can’t be modified.  This sounds like the model taken by .se.
  2. Each Registrar has its own set of external hosts that can be independently managed by the Registrar.  This is what was defined in an earlier version of the EPP, which was implemented by .name.
  3. There is one set of external hosts for the Registry with the client that created them as the sponsoring client.   The sponsoring client can update the external host independent references to the host by domains.  The external host can not be deleted if it’s being used as a delegating name server of a domain.  This is what is implemented in .com  and .net.

Are there any other models implemented by Registries?

RFC 4932 sort of indicates that external hosts do have a sponsoring client, so that could be a conflict with model #1.  RFC 4932 does not prohibit model #2, but model #2 does not seem to be very popular with the Registrars.  RFC 4932 has the verbiage “changing an external host object that has associations with objects that are sponsored by a different client. changing an external host object that has associations with objects that are sponsored by a different client. Attempts to update such hosts directly MUST fail with EPP error code 2305. The change can be provisioned by creating a new external host with a new name and needed new attributes and subsequently updating the other objects sponsored by the client.  This verbiage really applies to model #3, but it doesn’t sound like any Registries implementing model #3 have implemented to this verbiage.  Changing to this model for .com and .net would have major issues with Registrars, since they don’t seem to be a big fan of model #2 and a modified model #3 according to RFC 4932 represents a huge management burden for changing external hosts.

If there is an opportunity to change the wording, I would prefer to change the MUST to a SHOULD in the RFC 4932 paragraph as shown below to support existing implementations and to not require this behavior.

changing an external host object that has associations with objects that are sponsored by a different client. Attempts to update such hosts directly SHOULD fail with EPP error code 2305. The change can be provisioned by creating a new external host with a new name and needed new attributes and subsequently updating the other objects sponsored by the client.

--

JG

James F. Gould
Principal Software Engineer
VeriSign Naming Services
jgould@verisign.com
Direct: 703.948.3271
Mobile: 703.628.7063

21345 Ridgetop Circle
LS2-2-1
Dulles, VA 20166

Notice to Recipient:
This e-mail contains confidential, proprietary and/or Registry  Sensitive information intended solely for the recipient and, thus may not be  retransmitted, reproduced or disclosed without the prior written consent of  VeriSign Naming and Directory Services.  If you have received  this e-mail message in error, please notify the sender immediately by  telephone or reply e-mail and destroy the original message without making a  copy.  Thank you.

Home | Date list | Subject list