To: Olafur Gudmundsson <ogud@ogud.com>
CC: EPP Provreg <ietf-provreg@cafax.se>
From: Klaus Malorny <Klaus.Malorny@knipp.de>
Date: Mon, 22 Dec 2008 15:25:17 +0100
Sender: owner-ietf-provreg@cafax.se
Subject: Re: [ietf-provreg] DNSSEC EPP Extension (RFC 4310) Usability Question

On 18/12/08 16:08, Olafur Gudmundsson wrote:

>> The DS data is not a separate object, but part of the domain object,
>> so there is no question that it shall be transferred along with the
>> domain itself. Also it is doubtless that the data MAY NOT be cleared.
>
> Clearing DS is what you do when child stops using DNSSEC, thus it must
> be allowed.

Sure -- I expressed myself unclear. I meant that they should not be cleared as a
side effect of transfers, as a transfer not necessarily means that the domain is
moved to a new name server operator and/or to a new set of name servers.

> [...]
>
> The important question that registries need to ask them self is
> "Does the DS record in the EPP update the data go into the registry or
> does it only go in if/after the child's DNSKEY RRset has a key that
> matches the DS record?"

A pre-check may reduce the risk of human/machine errors that either make the
domain unsigned or suggest the domain being compromised. But it seems to me that
it does not improve security in general.

Thinking a little bit more of my question after your and Patrick's answers, I
have to admit that it is probably not a good idea -- first, the establishment
and management of this channel is a problem. If one would not trust the
registrar/reseller chain enough, this separate channel could not be
created/maintained using their credibility. However, alternative solutions are
likely hard to find. Second, name server assignment/host management would need
to be moved to the name server operators as well. This sounds like a big
responsibility mess.

Regards,

Klaus

Home | Date list | Subject list