To: "Hollenbeck, Scott" <shollenbeck@verisign.com>, Erik Østlyngen <erik.ostlyngen@uninett.no>, <ietf-provreg@cafax.se>
From: James Gould <jgould@verisign.com>
Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2007 10:20:50 -0500
Sender: owner-ietf-provreg@cafax.se
Subject: Re: [ietf-provreg] Multiple email addresses for contacts

Erik,

We've implemented both option 2 (Jobs Contact Extension) and option 3 (RCC
Contact Mapping) in our systems.  As Scott points out option 2 is best if
you only need to make a small number of changes and option 3 is best if the
mapping needs to be very different from the standard contact mapping.  In
the case of our "Jobs Contact Extension" we needed to add three optional
attributes (title, industryType, and isAssociationMember), so this could
easily be done with a simple extension that allows complete reuse of the
standard contact mapping specification and code (client-side and
server-side).  In the case of our "RCC Contact Mapping" we had a product
that functioned as a proxy to the ccTLD Registries, where the standard
contact mapping was not a good fit.  We later even had to create extensions
to our custom "RCC Contact" mapping to integrate with specific ccTLD
Registries but without impacting existing Registrars.

In your case I recommend option 2, since the change is small and it's easy
to create a new extension with maximum reuse of the standard contact
mapping.

--

JG

James F. Gould
Principal Software Engineer
VeriSign Naming Services
jgould@verisign.com
Direct: 703.948.3271
Mobile: 703.628.7063

21345 Ridgetop Circle
LS2-2-1
Dulles, VA 20166

Notice to Recipient:  This e-mail contains confidential, proprietary and/or
Registry  Sensitive information intended solely for the recipient and, thus
may not be  retransmitted, reproduced or disclosed without the prior written
consent of  VeriSign Naming and Directory Services.  If you have received
this e-mail message in error, please notify the sender immediately by
telephone or reply e-mail and destroy the original message without making a
copy.  Thank you.

> From: "Hollenbeck, Scott" <shollenbeck@verisign.com>
> Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2007 07:04:35 -0500
> To: Erik Østlyngen <erik.ostlyngen@uninett.no>, <ietf-provreg@cafax.se>
> Conversation: [ietf-provreg] Multiple email addresses for contacts
> Subject: RE: [ietf-provreg] Multiple email addresses for contacts

Home | Date list | Subject list