To: ietf-provreg@cafax.se
From: Erik Østlyngen <erik.ostlyngen@uninett.no>
Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2007 12:01:24 +0100
Sender: owner-ietf-provreg@cafax.se
Subject: [ietf-provreg] Multiple email addresses for contacts

Hi.

At Norid, the Norwegian ccTLD, we are developing an EPP interface to
our registry. Our data model allows contacts to have multiple email
addresses. Our reason for supporting multiple email addresses is that
in some cases it is important that we can reach our registrants.
Multiple addresses may increase the likelyhood of them being reached. We
are wondering what would be the proper way to implement this in EPP,
since it conflicts with RFC4933. Ideally, we want to register the
multiple addresses with no order.

We have considered several different solutions:

1. Allow several space or comma separated email addresses in the email
    field (contact create, update and info commands). This might break
    some client implementations if they are not prepared for it.

2. Support the standard email field as a 'primary' email address, and
    define multiple 'secondary' email addresses in an extension.

3. Define our own contact mapping which is (accidentally) similar to
    the RFC4933 mapping, but has multiple email fields.

It looks like the issue was discussed on this list in may 2001. But
with no conclusion. Does anyone know what would be the right way to do
this in the spirit of EPP?

Kind regards,
Erik Østlyngen
UNINETT Norid