To: ietf-provreg@cafax.se, "Hollenbeck, Scott" <shollenbeck@verisign.com>
From: Alexander Mayrhofer <axelm@nic.at>
Date: Thu, 07 Dec 2006 11:25:56 +0100
Sender: owner-ietf-provreg@cafax.se
Subject: [ietf-provreg] Re: Certificate Validation and Subject Analysis

> I received a question from an IESG member about EPP implementations and
> X.509 digital certificate validation.  What are implementers doing with
> the certificate subject name information when validating the
> certification path of a client or server?  Is the name being examined
> and/or used for authentication or access control purposes?

Scott,

we're now using two different toolkits - one homegrown (for User-ENUM), and
Net::DRI (for upcoming .at registry, plus infrastructure ENUM).

Neither of those toolkits currently does anything with the certificates
provided be the registry - TLS is hence only used for encryption, not for
authentication.

that might change in the future, so any guidance about what to do is
appreciated.

thanks

Alex Mayrhofer
nic.at