To: "Alexander Mayrhofer" <axelm@nic.at>, <ietf-provreg@cafax.se>
Cc: "Andreas Papst" <andreas.papst@univie.ac.at>
From: "Hollenbeck, Scott" <shollenbeck@verisign.com>
Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2006 07:10:38 -0500
Sender: owner-ietf-provreg@cafax.se
Subject: RE: [ietf-provreg] Question regarding contact:disclose behaviour.

[snip]

> I'd appreciate feedback on how that was originally intended,
> and would like
> to see some clarifying text about this in 3733bis...

The text you're missing is already in 3733bis.  See the second paragraph
of section 2.9:

"A server operator announces a default disclosure policy when
establishing a session with a client.  When an object is created or
updated, the client can specify contact attributes that require
exceptional disclosure handling using an OPTIONAL <contact:disclose>
element."

and then in the third paragraph:

"A value of "true" or "1" (decimal one) notes a client preference to
allow disclosure of the specified elements as an exception to the stated
data collection policy.  A value of "false" or "0" (decimal zero) notes
a client preference to not allow disclosure of the specified elements as
an exception to the stated data collection policy."

The part you seem to have missed is the relationship with the data
collection policy (dcp) element that identifies the server operator's
default disclosure policy.  The contact:disclose element is used by the
client to identify a request for exceptions to the stated policy.
Elements not specified in the contact:disclose element remain subject to
the default policy.

-Scott-

Home | Date list | Subject list