To: janusz <janusz@ca.afilias.info>
CC: "Hollenbeck, Scott" <shollenbeck@verisign.com>, ietf-provreg@cafax.se
From: Klaus Malorny <Klaus.Malorny@knipp.de>
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2006 22:58:11 +0200
Sender: owner-ietf-provreg@cafax.se
Subject: Re: [ietf-provreg] extensding EPP <update> command for contact

janusz wrote:
> Scott,
> [...]
> The same section in domain object mapping document contains a provision
> for EPP domain <update> commands without any element to modify.
> [...]
 >
> Janusz Sienkiewicz

While it is possible in the domain mapping (RFC 3731) to legally create an
update command that does nothing, there is still a sentence that requires
unnecessary XML (page 27, third paragraph from bottom):

    At least one <domain:add>, <domain:rem>, or <domain:chg> element MUST
    be provided.

So, RFC 3731 should be included in your considerations. When we discovered this
problem last year we decided to simply ignore this MUST in our server
implementation and to do not reject the command if such a condition occurs. I
don't see a reason for the prohibition of an "empty" update anyway.

Regards,

Klaus

      |       |
      | knipp |                   Knipp  Medien und Kommunikation GmbH
       -------                           Technologiepark
                                         Martin-Schmeißer-Weg 9
      Dipl. Inf. Klaus Malorny           44227 Dortmund
      Klaus.Malorny@knipp.de             Tel. +49 231 9703 0

Home | Date list | Subject list