To: Alexander Mayrhofer <axelm@nic.at>
CC: ietf-provreg@cafax.se
From: Klaus Malorny <Klaus.Malorny@knipp.de>
Date: Sun, 28 May 2006 14:40:59 +0200
Sender: owner-ietf-provreg@cafax.se
Subject: Re: [ietf-provreg] RFC3731: domain:roid in <info> response

Alexander Mayrhofer wrote:
> Hi,
>
> i just noticed that the "roid" element in the response to a <domain:info>
> request is a mandatory element. However, it seems that the "roid" is not
> required in any other requests on domain objects, because all other
> transactions use the <domain:name> to identify a certain object instance.
>
> So, is there a reason why the "roid" is not optional in the <info> response?
> And, any chance to change that in 3731bis? As it seems to me, we'd need to
> "leak" the internal id of a domain object to the client for just this single
> info-response - without any further use.
>
> any insight appreciated.
>
> cheers
>
> Alex Mayrhofer
> nic.at

Hi Alex,

a bit late, but recently I rarely visit the folder where my e-mail agent moves
the postings to ;-) . Anyhow, one use of the ROID was missing in the other
in the EPP specs.

With the puntCAT registry we (CORE) have implemented, we allow the use of ROIDs
of different objects in info commands. This enables registrars to create copies
of contacts of domains that they are going to transfer to them. Using the
authinfo password of the domain and its ROID, a registrar can get the full data
of an associated contact, even if the disclosure settings of the sponsoring
registrar would suppress the information otherwise. Also, a registrar can get
the full domain data if he knows the authinfo of a related contact. The only
thing we exclude in the response is the authinfo of the object itself, as this
would allow the registrar to walk through the other registrar's object and to
gain information he isn't authorized to.

Regards,

Klaus

      |       |
      | knipp |                   Knipp  Medien und Kommunikation GmbH
       -------                           Technologiepark
                                         Martin-Schmeißer-Weg 9
      Dipl. Inf. Klaus Malorny           44227 Dortmund
      Klaus.Malorny@knipp.de             Tel. +49 231 9703 0

Home | Date list | Subject list