To: <ietf-provreg@cafax.se>
From: "Dan Maharry" <dan@mcd.coop>
Date: Tue, 21 Feb 2006 16:02:10 -0000
Sender: owner-ietf-provreg@cafax.se
thread-index: AcYV8C2g002wDo+kSm2lL6kwA9aDMw==
thread-topic: Registry Escrow Information as EPP Spec?
Subject: [ietf-provreg] Registry Escrow Information as EPP Spec?

Hi there,

I was wondering if anyone had considered writing an RFC that defined an
XML Escrow document for registries based on the EPP standard. I joined
the dotCoop registry last year and with the ICANN contract renewal for
the registry coming up this year, it seems an excellent time to address
the escrow schema ICANN gave us last time which was actually invalid for
several reasons.
(http://www.icann.org/tlds/agreements/coop/sponsorship-agmt-att16-05nov0
1.htm)

 - The whole schema is actually invalid XML - missing quotes in a few
places
 - Misspelt types. CIID rather than ClID
 - Assumes registrar is an EPP object.
 - ENS identity type actually the reverse format of EPP roid (as dotCoop
uses it that is) and not actually specified in EPP.
 - "Legal" isn't a valid type of registrar contact.

Surely it would make sense to create a standard escrow schema based on
the EPP(bis) documents which covered the usual items of information
required of registries and allowed the inclusion of extension
information for registries that extend EPP as well.

While I'm at it, working through our current escrow requirements brought
up a few other EPP-related questions. If anyone has an answer, please
let me know.

 - With the escrow information for registrars almost identical to that
for domains, hosts and contacts, why aren't registrars regarded as EPP
objects.
 - Should reserved domain names be regarded as domains in EPP as well? I
would have thought Yes.

Thanks,

Dan Maharry

Dan Maharry