To: Edward Lewis <Ed.Lewis@neustar.biz>
CC: ietf-provreg@cafax.se
From: Klaus Malorny <Klaus.Malorny@knipp.de>
Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2005 21:02:01 +0200
Sender: owner-ietf-provreg@cafax.se
Subject: Re: [ietf-provreg] secdns draft

Edward Lewis wrote:

> At 18:49 +0200 10/25/05, Klaus Malorny wrote:
>

> To explain #2.  Imagine a registrant creates a key and the (DS data
> representing the) key is sent to the registry.  If the registrant's
> private key is then "stolen/guessed/exposed", the party that has gained
> illegitimate access to the key can abuse the key as long as the DS
> record is seen as valid.  So, shortening the DS record means the window
> of vulnerability is lessened.
>
> The TTL record value was also considered, but the DNSSEC specs (RFC
> 4034, etc.) already specify the TTL value.
>
>> related to the above:
>>
>> ** what should the registry do at the end of the lifetime?
>

> The lifetime is relative.  If there is no change, just regenerate the
> signature over the DS record.  When to regenerate a signature is a
> deeper topic - some suggest regenerating signatures about 1/2 way
> through the lifetime just to be sure the signatures get out there in
> time.  But never sign the DS set for more time than the prudent/agreed
> upon lifetime duration.

Thanks for the clarification. I thought the most simple solution to revoke a
key is to remove it from the zone, as it would break the chain of trust also.
But I have to admit that I am not yet fully aware of the effects of the various
caching mechanisms on the time a resolver can falsely assume the correctness of
a revoked key. I have to check that.

regards,

Klaus

      |       |
      | knipp |                   Knipp  Medien und Kommunikation GmbH
       -------                           Technologiepark
                                         Martin-Schmeißer-Weg 9
      Dipl. Inf. Klaus Malorny           44227 Dortmund
      Klaus.Malorny@knipp.de             Tel. +49 231 9703 0

Home | Date list | Subject list