To: "janusz" <janusz@ca.afilias.info>
Cc: <ietf-provreg@cafax.se>
From: "Hollenbeck, Scott" <shollenbeck@verisign.com>
Date: Mon, 15 Aug 2005 11:35:56 -0400
Sender: owner-ietf-provreg@cafax.se
Subject: RE: [ietf-provreg] Services messages in RFC 3730

Do those of you who keep asking about making the <poll> command optional
not know about response code 2101?  From 3730:

'2101    "Unimplemented command"
This response code MUST be returned when a server receives a valid EPP
command element that is not implemented by the server.'

The text in the <poll> description needs to be updated as we've
discussed to note that message queuing isn't required for all command
side effects, but I think you already have what you're asking for.
Don't implement <poll>.  Return 2101 if a client tries to use it.  If at
least two independent implementers don't implement <poll> it can get cut
from the protocol completely as part of the proposed-to-draft process.

BTW, I don't think we should try to mix object-specific data with the
higher-level <poll> elements.  They exist at different layers in the
protocol stack.  We could add an opaque element to the <poll> command to
park object-specific data, but in a sense we already have that
capability with the <extension> element.

-Scott-

Home | Date list | Subject list