To: "Hollenbeck, Scott" <shollenbeck@verisign.com>
Cc: "Michael Young" <myoung@ca.afilias.info>, <ietf-provreg@cafax.se>
From: Edward Lewis <Ed.Lewis@Neustar.biz>
Date: Fri, 12 Aug 2005 14:19:44 -0400
Sender: owner-ietf-provreg@cafax.se
Subject: RE: [ietf-provreg] Services messages in RFC 3730

Keeping in mind that a protocol is about communication of
information, not the processing of information:

Reading Jay's suggestion carefully, it does not "bar" sending replies
as they are now, just makes them an implicit "MAY".  Is that
intentional/acceptable?

At 13:23 -0400 8/12/05, Hollenbeck, Scott wrote:
> [...]

I have a hard time imagining that a priority-based message system is
important in the context of EPP.  EPP is only delivering the
messages, there's nothing saying that the recipient can't delay
acting on some.

 From my experience in communications protocols, adding priorities
into queues winds up gumming up the pipes.  I would reserve
prioritization for cases where time critical responses are required
or where one stream of messages has a different tolerance for transit
latency than another.

>Specification issue: if multiple queues are implemented, how does one
>let the client deal with that fact?  As is, they could be read from in
>whatever order the server operator decides to impose on the reader.
>That's probably not too helpful.  We also need to look at loosening up
>the text as Jim suggested.

I dislike protocol features with really complicated rules regarding
what it means to be conformant.  EPP handles a pretty simple
client-server conversation, is the benefit of priority queues worth
having to define all these new rules?  Don't just think of all of the
specification ink needed, think of having to roll out new tar files
of EPP code too.

>c. It's common IETF practice to add new features via extensions once
>proposed standards are published.  Extension development is usually a
>good reason to spin up a new working group.

On a tangent - do you mean to say that extensions ought to cause a
new WG?  Up to now some extensions haven't been discussed in a (new)
WG.

>d. It allows us to avoid a core schema change and the resulting new
>protocol version.
>
>Think about d. for a moment.  A protocol version rev likely implies an
>operational requirement for ALL conforming servers and clients to
>support both old and new versions for some TBD period of time.  An
>extension can be deployed without introducing version management issues.

I'm not so worried about IETF impacts (like, "respin at PS") as I am
about software that has been distributed.  That's been the achillies
heel of many an old protocol.

Do we really gain by no longer delivering messages to the initiator
has Jay suggests?  (Or can the initiator be counted on to just dump
the extraneous message?)  Do we really gain with priority queueing?

I'm not sure I'd say yes or no to the first question, my gut tells me
that answer to the latter is no.
NeuStar

If you knew what I was thinking, you'd understand what I was saying.

Home | Date list | Subject list