To: "'Bernie Hoeneisen'" <bhoeneis@switch.ch>
Cc: "'enum@ietf.org'" <enum@ietf.org>, "'ietf-provreg@cafax.se'" <ietf-provreg@cafax.se>
From: "Hollenbeck, Scott" <shollenbeck@verisign.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2004 08:18:03 -0400
Sender: owner-ietf-provreg@cafax.se
Subject: [ietf-provreg] RE: New I/D: draft-hoeneisen-enum-validation-epp-0 0

> > Well, then perhaps a more basic question: why is the number
> needed in the
> > extension at all?  You already have the domain name; the
> number can be
> > trivially derived from the name.
>
> For the major part of the cases I agree with you.
> But I am trying to make the extension as generic as possible.
> Im can imagine, that certain validation procedures might need this
> optional field.

I still don't get it.  If the number is needed, it can be derived from the
domain name.  Why carry it twice?

The only scenario I can imagine is one in which some kind of formatting or
some extra information (such as over-dialing numbers) needs to be preserved.
Is that what you have in mind?

-Scott-

Home | Date list | Subject list