To: "'janusz@libertyrms.info'" <janusz@libertyrms.info>
Cc: ietf-provreg@cafax.se, "Hollenbeck, Scott" <shollenbeck@verisign.com>
From: "Gould, James" <JGould@verisign.com>
Date: Tue, 2 Dec 2003 14:09:30 -0500
Sender: owner-ietf-provreg@cafax.se
Subject: RE: [ietf-provreg] RE: draft-hollenbeck-epp-rgp-01.txt comments/proposal

Janusz,

When initially discussing this with Scott, my thought was that RGP could
apply to more objects than just domains.  I know of other provisioned
objects that could benefit from an RGP like feature (i.e. E-mail
Forwarding).  In this, RGP would become another verb that that could be
extended by command mappings similar to the core verbs (i.e. Domain RGP and
E-mail Forwarding RGP) each with elements specific to each object.  From a
purest perspective this made sense, but I felt it was too complicated for
now.  By combining the object, in this case domain, with the protocol
extension, I don't believe it invalidates the use of the protocol extension
for adding a new verb.

My intention of the initial e-mail was to propose the concept of the rgp
protocol extension and not to define the final specification.  Elements like
<rgp:domain> and <rgp:period> could easily be added, since it would have its
own XML schema.

I disagree with your assertion that a protocol extension should not be
directly associated with existing object mappings.  Since you are defining a
new verb, you can define exactly what objects it applies to.  This could be
an extensible object like described in the first paragraph or it could be a
specific object like domain.  Since domain is the predominate object for
EPP, limiting the verbs to check, create, update, info, renew, delete, and
transfer is too limiting.

I hope some Registrars are following this so that we get their feedback.
What we have here are two registries with different requirements for rgp
(one with a renew feature and one without).  If the specification is going
to be registry independent it should support both cleanly.  I don't like
coupling rgp with update based on my previous comments related to confusion
of what update elements should be accepted, but for me an update would match
better than a renew.  In our case, no updates are allowed during the
redemption period.

Any Registrar feedback?  The three options right now include:

RGP as renew command-response extension.  The typical use case is:
1. Domain is auto renewed
2. Registrar deletes Domain via a <domain:delete>
3. Registrar sends a <domain:renew> with a <domain:period> of 0 (supporting
a period is registry specific) with the rgp request extension
4. Registrar sends a <domain:renew> with a <domain:period> of 0 with the rgp
report extension
5. Domain is ok

RGP as update command-response extension.  The typical use case is:
1. Domain is auto renewed
2. Registrar deletes Domain via a <domain:delete>
3. Registrar sends a <domain:update> with no updates (supporting update
elements is registry specific) with the rgp request extension
4. Registrar sends a <domain:renew> with no updates (supporting update
elements is registry specific) with the rgp report extension
5. Domain is ok

RGP as protocol extension.  The typical use case is:
1. Domain is auto renewed
2. Registrar deletes Domain via a <domain:delete>
3. Registrar sends an <rgp:request> with an optional <rgp:period> element.
4. Registrar sends an <rgp:report>
5. Domain is ok

The command-response extension to the <domain:info> still applies with all
three options.

JG

James F. Gould
VeriSign Naming and Directory Services