To: "'janusz sienkiewicz'" <janusz@libertyrms.info>, "Hollenbeck, Scott" <shollenbeck@verisign.com>
Cc: "'ietf-provreg@cafax.se'" <ietf-provreg@cafax.se>
From: "Gould, James" <JGould@verisign.com>
Date: Mon, 1 Dec 2003 17:15:32 -0500
Sender: owner-ietf-provreg@cafax.se
Subject: RE: [ietf-provreg] RE: draft-hollenbeck-epp-rgp-01.txt comments/proposal

Scott & Janusz,

I agree that specifying a period of zero is cleaner if the renew command is
extended for rgp.

I still believe that the command-response extension is the wrong way to go
for rgp.  Server functions would have to be updated to differentiate between
a standard renew and an rgp (request & report) renew.  If verb extensions
are made by extending either renew or update, than the registry has to make
policy decisions related to what standard attributes to ignore or report
errors on.  I prefer making the validation more explicit using an XML
schema.  Morphing a renew or update into an rgp request or rgp report is
mixing verbs that really don't belong together.  The VNDS rgp does not have
a renew feature, so logically it shouldn't involve a renew command.
Similarly, while a domain is in pendingDelete status we don't allow any
updates to it, but if rgp is mixed with an update than what do we do about
the specified updates?  If we disallow all updates for an rgp command, than
there is no point in making it an extension of the update command.

If rgp has a renew feature, make the renew function subordinate to the rgp
request command and not the other way around.  If rgp is not a good
candidate for a protocol extension than what is?

JG

James F. Gould
VeriSign Naming and Directory Services
jgould@verisign.com