To: "'Ed Lewis'" <edlewis@arin.net>, "'ietf-provreg@cafax.se'" <ietf-provreg@cafax.se>
From: "Hollenbeck, Scott" <shollenbeck@verisign.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2003 07:27:18 -0400
Sender: owner-ietf-provreg@cafax.se
Subject: RE: [ietf-provreg] EPP over UDP for Domain Availability Checking?

> First, one has to presume that this is external to the PROVREG WG
> effort.  (The charter would forbid it on a number of grounds.)
> Nevertheless, this ought to be considered - and recall that this list
> will outlive the WG.  (It's not a matter of scope for the list.)

Right -- I just figured that there are people on the list who might have an
interest in the topic.

> Who gets to be the client?  I would assume there are a lot more who
> would want this data than just the registrars.
>
> How does this fit next to what the CRISP WG is chartered to do?  The
> difference between transports (UDP vs. connection oriented) is
> significant.

This is something that would need to be looked at.  Andy and I had a chance
to talk live yesterday; I think we both believe that there might be some use
cases that avoid an intersection with CRISP.  There _might_ be for a
registry that wants to deploy both protocols.  At a minimum, a light EPP UDP
<check> might be a useful feature for a registry that wants to deploy EPP,
but not the CRISP protocol.

Anyway, it's something to talk about over a beer in Minneapolis.

-Scott-

Home | Date list | Subject list