To: ietf-provreg@cafax.se
Cc: edlewis@arin.net
From: Edward Lewis <edlewis@arin.net>
Date: Tue, 30 Sep 2003 16:32:50 -0400
Sender: owner-ietf-provreg@cafax.se
Subject: [ietf-provreg] where we are

(Off the top of my head as September draws to a close...)

It's been nearly 5 months since the IESG has approved our documents
at the Proposed Standards level.  The documents have moved into the
RFC Editor's Queue where they have been held up because we reference
another document.  (The other document was trailing ours, but that
document has been approved.)

We do have a port number reserved, mail of that was sent out a few weeks ago.

What's next?

Well, the design of the WG is to close down after the documents are
in the RFC series.  We are hanging around, in form, only to make sure
there are no hiccups with the publication of the documents.  We have
no milestones left, we do not plan to meet in Minneapolis.

The mailing list will be available after the WG folds.  And reaching
Proposed Standard isn't the ultimate goal - the next level is Draft
Standard.

Draft standard is achieved by meeting criteria in RFC 2026.  There
are two I want to highlight.

1) A report of interoperability of implementations.  At least two
completely independent implementations are needed, that's client and
server, and there has to be a test and report that reports on how
clear the specifications are.  (That's Client X with Server Y, Client
Y with Server X.)

This is not a product comparison, it's not important if Client Z is
broken, it's whether two folks could read the same words and wrote
code that follows the protocol as intended.  This is a measure of how
clear the specifications are.  Not a measure of the implementors.

2) There's a 6 month delay between PS and DS - at a minimum.  The
delay isn't the big hurdle in anyway.  In fact, next week will mark 5
months since the IESG approved our documents.  I've asked a few folks
if these 5 months count towards the 6, some answered yes and some
said it should start with the port number assignment.

Either way, I'm sure the interoperability hurdle is the greater feat.

Those wishing to push this effort towards Draft (and maybe eventually
Full) Standard ought to keep this points in mind.  What is needed are
implementations, then testing, and then maybe a proposed BOF/Charter
to constitute a WG for the next level of review.  There's no reason
to "wait" because of the RFC 2026 calendar delays.
Edward Lewis                                            +1-703-227-9854
ARIN Research Engineer

Sponge Bob Square Pants?  I'm still trying to figure out the Macarena.

Home | Date list | Subject list