To: "'ietf-provreg@cafax.se'" <ietf-provreg@cafax.se>
From: Klaus Malorny <Klaus.Malorny@knipp.de>
Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2003 09:59:11 +0200
Sender: owner-ietf-provreg@cafax.se
Subject: [ietf-provreg] EPP and IDN

Hi all,

can anyone tell me something about the relation between EPP and IDN? I
have seen that there are various drafts out there (like
draft-chung-idnop-epp-idn-00.txt) that deal with IDN issues like
variants et al. But is my assumption correct that the base protocol
itself does not limit the use of internationalized names in domains and
host objects? I mean since XML is able to transport the full Unicode
character set, it should be possible to specify non-ASCII characters in
domainname related elements. Or does the protocol require that those
names are transmitted in their Punycode equivalent, as it happens
(AFAIK) in Verisign's current RRP implementation? Is the choice between
the "presentation form" and Punycode at descretion of the implementing
registry?

Thanks in advance,

Klaus

      |       |
      | knipp |                   Knipp  Medien und Kommunikation GmbH
       -------                           Technologiepark
                                         Martin-Schmeißer-Weg 9
      Dipl. Inf. Klaus Malorny           44227 Dortmund
      Klaus.Malorny@knipp.de             Tel. +49 231 9703 0

Home | Date list | Subject list