To: ietf-provreg@cafax.se
From: Bernie Hoeneisen <bhoeneis@switch.ch>
Date: Fri, 27 Jun 2003 15:20:02 +0200 (CEST)
Sender: owner-ietf-provreg@cafax.se
Subject: [ietf-provreg] Some EPP questions

Hi EPPers!

Trying to get familiar with EPP I have the following questions:

1) epp-09, 2.9.3.4:

   In the transfer command, there is a command attribute 'op=__' defined,
   which can take values 'request', 'cancel', 'approve', 'reject',
   'query'. In other transform commands such as 'delete', 'create', or
   'update' no such 'op=__' attribute is defined.

   An example, where an "op=cancel" command attibute for a delete request
   is useful, could be:

   A domain object is in a pendingDelete state, and the holder changes his
   mind (he wants to keep the domain name). In this case I see no EPP
   mechanism for the registrar to interact, i.e. cancel the delete
   request. Also an "op=query" to figure out the state of the request
   could be useful in such a case.

   What is the reason, why the same command attributes 'op=cancel', etc.
   are not foreseen for other transform commands?

2) epp-09, 3; epp-09, 2.9.3.4; epp-domain-07, 3.2.4; epp-contact-07, 3.2.4

   In section 3 (epp-09), in the result codes it is described:

     Code    Response text in English
     ___________________________________

     1000    "Command completed successfully"
     This is the usual response code for a successfully completed
     command that is not addressed by any other 1xxx-series response
     code.

     1001    "Command completed successfully; action pending"
     This response code MUST be returned when responding to a command
     the requires offline activity before the requested action can be
     completed.  See section 2 for a description of other processing
     requirements.

   In the examples epp-09, 2.9.3.4; epp-domain-07, 3.2.4; epp-contact-07,
   3.2.4, (transfer command) the result code is "1000", although further
   below there is <obj:trStatus>pending</obj:trStatus>.

   What is the idea behind, that the response to the transfer command is
   labled as 'completed successfully', but on the other hand it is
   pending?

3) epp-contact-07

   I am a bit confused about the meaning of the 'roid' and the
   'contact-id'.  If I understood correctly, the only difference is, that
   the client can choose and propose a contact-id, which has to be
   available at the server, and the roid is assigned uniquely by the
   server.

   What is/are the reason/s that we have two identifiers for almost the
   same thing?

4) epp-host-07, 3.2.5

   According to section 3.2.5, a host object can be renamed. There is also
   something about other objects that refer to the host object:

     Host name changes can have an impact on associated objects that refer
     to the host object.  A host name change SHOULD NOT require additional
     updates of associated objects to preserve existing associations [...]

   It is not clear to me, what is meant here: Should a host object not be
   renamed, in case such associations remain, or are domain objects with
   associations updated implicitly together with a host name change?

Thanks in advance for your answers,
and sorry for possible "new-by" annoyance...:-)

cheers,
 Bernie

Home | Date list | Subject list