To: ietf-provreg@cafax.se
Cc: Edward Lewis <edlewis@arin.net>, jaap@sidn.nl
From: Edward Lewis <edlewis@arin.net>
Date: Thu, 1 May 2003 10:54:49 -0400
Sender: owner-ietf-provreg@cafax.se
Subject: RE: [ietf-provreg] provreg wg responses to IESG comments

Trimmed the cc list a bit:

>I think it's important to be up front with the purpose of this element,
>which is to disclose that data might be used to contact individuals for
>marketing purposes.  Softening the text to make this less obvious sounds
>like a bad move to me.  It might help me understand where you're coming from
>if you explain why you think that disclosing direct marketing practices is a
>bad idea.

Given that we want the core to be extensible, albeit focused for now
on domains, I think we want to be inclusive of other ideas.  I also
think that the description as written accurately reflects the
consensus of the group when it comes the adoption of what was in P3P
as it relates to us.

Judging from omissions in the old DNS documents, it's better to
mention as much as possible even if you think that doing so might
lead to bad ideas.  Bad ideas that stem from unclear sections of text
are much harder to debate and fix.
Edward Lewis                                            +1-703-227-9854
ARIN Research Engineer

It's true, my last college class really was "Introduction to Ada."

Home | Date list | Subject list