To: Eric Brunner-Williams in Portland Maine <brunner@nic-naa.net>
Cc: Ted Hardie <hardie@qualcomm.com>, "'ietf-provreg@cafax.se'" <ietf-provreg@cafax.se>, jaap@sidn.nl, Edward Lewis <edlewis@arin.net>
From: Edward Lewis <edlewis@arin.net>
Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2003 10:04:25 -0400
Sender: owner-ietf-provreg@cafax.se
Subject: Re: [ietf-provreg] legal entity vs individual person

As a co-chair, my thought is that the protocol should not be making a
distinction between individuals and organizations.  I don't have any
novel reasons (with respect to what's been expressed on the list).
The strongest reason to me is that such a distinction (e.g., is the
postal address that of a one-person consultant firm or of that
person) is a policy issue.

I.e., for the WG, and just to simplify, "individual == corporation"
here.  I can't see why the protocol ought to worry over the
distinction.  We're talking the communication of the data here, not
the policy over the data.

I applaud EBW's attempts to enlighten us all on privacy, however, it
seems that it's getting to be more like teaching pigs to sing, and I
for one would rather oink and wallow in that mud pile over here by
now.  Yes, I'm being sarcastic, but seriously folks, I think the time
has come to define what we have, document it, and see what the real
world (that one with lawyers, contracts, and farmers) think.

Edward Lewis                                            +1-703-227-9854
ARIN Research Engineer

"I'm sorry, sir, your flight is delayed for maintenance.  We are
pounding out the dents from the last landing."

Home | Date list | Subject list