To: Ted Hardie <hardie@qualcomm.com>
cc: Eric Brunner-Williams in Portland Maine <brunner@nic-naa.net>, "'ietf-provreg@cafax.se'" <ietf-provreg@cafax.se>, brunner@nic-naa.net
From: Eric Brunner-Williams in Portland Maine <brunner@nic-naa.net>
Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2003 19:15:03 -0400
Sender: owner-ietf-provreg@cafax.se
Subject: Re: [ietf-provreg] legal entity vs individual person

Oh, you're clear enough.

"Registrants include individuals, organizations, and corporations."
A line from 3375, three buckets.

"Social information associated with registrants may thus be associated
with human, corporations, and organizations."
A line from Hardie, same water in each bucket. This ignores the minor
problem that we don't know what "social information" is. It originally
ment anything that didn't get into a zone file -- billing data, ICANN
cruft, garbage.

What this bald assertion misses is the possibility of the existance of
properties of data that are not uniform across all three buckets.

I think such an assertion is fundamentally unlearned.

"... a mechanism (dnd) applies only to a single registrant type is to
presume something about local policy."
A line from Hardie, no mechanism distinguishing non-uniformity of data
is general.

As I said, clear enough.

> I thought it was moderately obvious; sorry.  The second order threat is
> that
> public data associated with an address could be correlated with other
> public
> data to re-create the data distribution problem.

No. We missed "correlation with other public data" (on-line or off-line)
when drafting 3375. We missed sun spots, legal intercept, and avian
transport. We're not a fun lot.

In a day of exchanges I've found you have a firm opinion. I've no idea
how you arived at it. I know that after working on cookies, profile
transport, p3p-classic, p3p-on-cookies, p3p-beyond-the-wireline, IM,
and domains, in EU, OEDC, and the US, my initial data is not my current
data.

Eric

Home | Date list | Subject list