To: Eric Brunner-Williams in Portland Maine <brunner@nic-naa.net>
Cc: "'ietf-provreg@cafax.se'" <ietf-provreg@cafax.se>
From: Ted Hardie <hardie@qualcomm.com>
Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2003 10:29:12 -0700
Sender: owner-ietf-provreg@cafax.se
Subject: Re: [ietf-provreg] legal entity vs individual person

On Wednesday, April 16, 2003, at 06:39 AM, Eric Brunner-Williams in
Portland Maine wrote:
<way big snip>
> I don't want this:
>
> X. Privacy Considerations
>
>    None.
>
> Y. Client Data Control Considerations
>
>    Redistribution of registrant contact data may be controlled by the
>    <mumble> element.
>
> I want this:
>
> X. Privacy Considerations
>
>    Data that may identify individual persons is identified and
> policied.
>    See <mumble>.
>
> Eric

One of the cases mentioned has been data for organizations
which implicitly identifies data about individual persons.  One of the
common cases would be the single-individual consulting shop;
in that case you might argue that revealing this information is
a cost of doing business as a legal entity rather than as an
individual.  The
hot-button cases, though, are those where revealing the information
has consequences for a third party.  The shelter example is the
one most commonly cited, where the decision to reveal information
about the shelter's business address or telephone number affects
those who seek its services.

Figuring out whether or not to support specific cases seems to me
a policy decision.   Having the hook for the different policies
seems reasonable enough; whether you cast it as "Privacy Considerations"
or "Client Data Control Considerations" doesn't really matter to me.

				regards,
					Ted Hardie

Home | Date list | Subject list