To: "'Eric Brunner-Williams in Portland Maine'" <brunner@nic-naa.net>, "'Joseph Reagle'" <reagle@w3.org>
Cc: "'Hollenbeck, Scott'" <shollenbeck@verisign.com>, "'Edward Lewis'" <edlewis@arin.net>, <public-p3p-spec@w3.org>, <ietf-provreg@cafax.se>
From: "Ross Wm. Rader" <ross@tucows.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Apr 2003 10:51:54 -0400
Sender: owner-ietf-provreg@cafax.se
Subject: RE: [ietf-provreg] [BH] P3P and Extensible Provisioning Protocol

> There is no in-band mechanism to distinguish
> "registrar-generated-data" from
> "entity-other-than-registrar-generated-data".
<snip>
> I don't even know if the registrar was the initial data
> collector, or if the initial data collector was a reseller
> and the registrar engaged in onward-transport. I don't know
> how the data got to the registrar.

Perhaps this is overkill, but I can't underscore enough how "right" Eric
is with this observation - it is not uncommon that the chain looks like:

Registrant -> affiliate partner -> reseller -> reseller -> registrar ->
registry...

This is even more predominant in environments like .cn where every
non-domestic registrar is actually a reseller of Neulevel's.

The point that needs to be underscored is that, as Eric pointed out,
each link in the chain has the opportunity to add or change data to the
transaction as they see fit - and experience shows that it happens on a
regular basis.

                       -rwr

"There's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore like an
idiot."
- Steven Wright

Get Blog... http://www.byte.org/

Home | Date list | Subject list