To: Edward Lewis <edlewis@arin.net>
Cc: "Hollenbeck, Scott" <shollenbeck@verisign.com>, "'ietf-provreg@cafax.se'" <ietf-provreg@cafax.se>
From: Joe Abley <jabley@isc.org>
Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2003 16:33:08 -0400
Sender: owner-ietf-provreg@cafax.se
Subject: Re: [ietf-provreg] References for Today's Host Object Discussion

On Thursday, Apr 10, 2003, at 11:27 Canada/Eastern, Edward Lewis wrote:

> As far as the MX RR issue, as a protocol person, I think that I can
> see why you would limit the EPP core spec to doing just the A
> records.  IMO, the A record - and I should point out that we have to
> be IP version fair according to our requirements - or the AAAA or any
> other experimental/future address record is a special case here.
> Only address records are eligible to be glue in DNS, MX's and others
> aren't.

Some MX records might need glue just as some NS records need glue:

$ORIGIN something.

example1 NS ns1.example1
example1 NS felix.automagic.org.

ns1.example1 A 199.212.93.1

example2 MX 10 smtp.example2
example2 MX 20 felix.automagic.org.

smtp.example2 A 199.212.92.1

Is MX (and friends) vs. A really the comparison you should be making?
Or should it be MX (and friends) vs. NS?

Joe

Home | Date list | Subject list