To: Eric Brunner-Williams in Portland Maine <brunner@nic-naa.net>
Cc: ietf-provreg@cafax.se, iesg@ietf.org
From: Edward Lewis <edlewis@arin.net>
Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2003 14:54:03 -0800
Sender: owner-ietf-provreg@cafax.se
Subject: Re: [ietf-provreg] EPP, data, actors, and access

At 8:35 -0500 3/19/03, Eric Brunner-Williams in Portland Maine wrote:
>Oki all,
>
>We have two distinct proposals for a specification of access, data, and
>actors for EPP. External to EPP, but possibly relevant, is the existence
>of WHOIS (954).

You are expressing a very detailed understanding of the problem.  One
of the issues I have with being this detailed is that it makes the
chance of consensus less likely to achieve.

I can see the point that perhaps I want my telephone number to appear
in WHOIS but not in DNS (to pick a perverse situation).

Let's do this as a first order approximation - is it possible to
specify whether a data item (call it what you will) is not allowed to
be repeated by the registry to any one other than the registrar that
submitted it?  Is this something that is common enough to be
understood by all?  Is this potentially sufficient to satisfy all
people's needs here?

(Presuming the above meets with consensus, and then while sitting at
proposed we discover that the mechanism is useless, dropping it or
replacing it is always an option.  At that time, we will be able to
point to emperical evidence of the goodness/badness of it.)
Edward Lewis                                          +1-703-227-9854
ARIN Research Engineer

Home | Date list | Subject list