To: Eric Brunner-Williams in Portland Maine <brunner@nic-naa.net>
Cc: Edward Lewis <edlewis@arin.net>, paf@cisco.com, jaap@sidn.nl, ietf-provreg@cafax.se, brunner@nic-naa.net
From: Edward Lewis <edlewis@arin.net>
Date: Fri, 31 Jan 2003 11:28:23 -0500
Sender: owner-ietf-provreg@cafax.se
Subject: Re: [ietf-provreg] provreg milestones

Yes, that's a point.

In my personal experience in IETF-style discussions, there have been
times when a 'A vs. B' thread trails on indefinitely.  Looking back
at those, what I've come to realize is that the participants are
often way too focused on the 'A vs. B' and not looking at why there's
a competition.

This might be the case with the privacy 'thing.'  (Thing - the issues
surrounding the answer to 'that' IESG comment.)  Perhaps we need to
step back, address the context, and then dive in again.

How to overcome this needs discussion.  I've been squeezed schedule
wise to set anything up other than rely on the mailing list.  I think
that we need to have some non-text based communications on this and
waiting until March isn't desirable.

My schedule gets nasty starting next week.  I'm on the road from the
4th-12th and 15th-26th of February and then the 9th of March until
after the IETF.  (The usual Internet winter road show.)  Perhaps it
would be beneficial if we had an interim telecon to talk about
solving this.  Not about how to address the IESG comment per se -
like what XML to do - but what we think we can consider.

I won't have access to setting one up for pretty much the month of
February.  Would anyone like to volunteer a conference bridge and see
if we can find a time slot most of us can live with?

At 10:55 -0500 1/31/03, Eric Brunner-Williams in Portland Maine wrote:
>Ed,
>
>In the muddle of privacy/dataprotection/security/mumble, we've the
>minor problem of whether the contributors to this WG are specifying
>is a protocol which performs onward-transport of data acquired by
>some other mechanism(s), or is a protocol which performs acquisition
>of data (in the IESG model the data is meta-data) in addition to the
>onward-transport function.
>
>Little substantive communication on this subject is taking place on
>the mailing list. That's a problem that can't be solved in San Fran.
>
>Eric

Edward Lewis                                          +1-703-227-9854
ARIN Research Engineer

Home | Date list | Subject list