To: "'Michael Young'" <myoung@libertyrms.info>, "'Vittorio Bertola'" <vb@bertola.eu.org>, <ietf-provreg@cafax.se>
From: "Ross Wm. Rader" <ross@tucows.com>
Date: Fri, 17 Jan 2003 09:45:40 -0500
Sender: owner-ietf-provreg@cafax.se
Subject: RE: An user's point of view on the privacy issue

> would like to see less soap-box speechs and more work towards

Agreed - *but* I don't expect that we'll see many as long as you're up
there. I don't know about the rest of you, but I do appreciate Vittorio
taking the time out to specify what his requirements for the mechanism
might be. Once the smart guys figure out where that should happen,
specifications such as his will most undoubtedly help you figure out how
to make "what it looks like" work.

I've dropped out of even lurking for the past few days, but suffice to
say that this is all moot if the question is still "who" as per Joe's
question of the 8th... And, at the risk of getting ahead of myself, I'm
also not sure that I've seen an answer to Andrew's question of the 9th
regarding what basic "privacy" actually is. From my standpoint, the
entire line of conjecture is a bit of a red herring - it may simplify
the discussion to look at this as a data ownership/entity
relationship/data rights management issue as opposed to the more charged
(and elusive) question of "privacy" - unless someone has a reasonable
definition of "privacy" that they haven't shared with us...

                       -rwr

"There's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore like an
idiot."
- Steven Wright

Get Blog... http://www.byte.org/blog

Home | Date list | Subject list