To: Randy Bush <randy@psg.com>
cc: "'ietf-provreg@cafax.se'" <ietf-provreg@cafax.se>
From: Eva Stengård <es@nrm.se>
Date: Thu, 9 Jan 2003 13:06:26 +0100 (CET)
Sender: owner-ietf-provreg@cafax.se
Subject: Re: privacy

I can only agree to this. If it is of any help I wrote a message to the
CRISP group some time ago that included a translation (my own, apologies
for the quality) of those parts in the Swedish implementation of the
European Data Protection Act that I felt was relevant in the context of
domain name business.

Because the Act includes restrictions applicable at export of data, such
as a transfer of data between registrar - registry on different sides of
the EU border, the protocol used must be able to carry information,
collected by the sender, that impose restrictions on how the recipient may
use the data.

For those of you interested, my message can be found at:
http://lists.verisignlabs.com/pipermail/ietf-not43/2002-April/000079.html

Hope this can be of some help,

--
Eva Stengård
Project Associate

On Wed, 8 Jan 2003, Randy Bush wrote:

> > Excellent point, I could not agree more ... IMHO all of this goes to the
> > much larger issue of privacy policy across all IETF protocols
>
> nope.  to repeat yet again.  we are not discussing privacy *policy*.
> we are discussing a mechanism by which a wide set of policies may
> be implemented.  operating system theory 101.
>
> randy

Home | Date list | Subject list