To: Rick Wesson <wessorh@ar.com>, Edward Lewis <edlewis@arin.net>
Cc: "'ietf-provreg@cafax.se'" <ietf-provreg@cafax.se>, <rick@ar.com>
From: Edward Lewis <edlewis@arin.net>
Date: Tue, 7 Jan 2003 17:04:25 -0500
Sender: owner-ietf-provreg@cafax.se
Subject: Re: privacy

Note that I cut off the IESG from the reply - this isn't something to
clutter them up with.

In as mush as I appreciate where Rick's coming from, I'd just like to
solve the problem at hand, the privacy issue.  Issues concerning the
IESG interface (I admit that there are some in general) are being
discussed elsewhere, i.e.:

It's not that I don't want to hear about IESG interface problem -
even though I really don't - it's that I don't want to hear about
that issue here.  If you get my drift.

Okay, but I did say that we are stuck because the IESG has said we
have to address their concerns.  I meant this to be the reason why
Scott has had the unenviable task of raising once again the privacy
issue.  I did not mean this to be a complaint about the IESG
stonewalling us.  If the WG has sufficient reason for us to not
address an IESG comment, we need to build a case for that.  It's not
like the IESG can't change their mind about an issue.

As far as the privacy issue discussion, everything that was discussed
between "us" has been posted to the provreg list.  BTW, the entire
call was on clarifying the comments on privacy (which are on the mail
list archive site).  No document modifying "decisions" or even
suggestions were made.

Let me ask this of the WG group:

Is there a reason not to add more granularity to the privacy specification?

Should we strive to add granularity?
Should we not strive to add granularity?

At 13:43 -0800 1/7/03, Rick Wesson wrote:
>Ed,
>
>I have some thoughts on this. I prefered the capability in scott's second
>to the last proposal [1] -- I also have an issue with the IESG deciding
>what in the most appropiate methodology.
>
>finally I would appreciate it if the IESG would post these discussion to
>the public list as private discussions are just that, private. Since we
>are discussing the privacy of end-users information (that will eventually
>be published in whois) it seems silly that we are not involved in the
>discussion and decision process on this topic.
>
>Lets put the proposal [1] back on the table and if the IESG has an issue
>with it lets here from the IESG in this wg, not through our
>DOCUMENT-EDITOR or the CHAIR but involve those members of the IESG that
>have a problem with it.

Edward Lewis                                          +1-703-227-9854
ARIN Research Engineer

Home | Date list | Subject list