To: ietf-provreg@cafax.se
From: Hong Liu <lhongsms@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 9 Dec 2002 12:02:28 -0800 (PST)
Sender: owner-ietf-provreg@cafax.se
Subject: EPP Compliance (Was Re: lastVerified: optional vs. extension)

Ed, Scott,

This discussion warrants a separate thread since I
believe it begs a clear answer to a fundamental
question: what does it mean by EPP compliance, in the
context of domain name registrations?

While the beauty of EPP is that it applies to many
different types of registries, it has to be a standard
set of extensions for a particular type of registries,
such as domain name registries. Or why bother spending
all the time producing the domain/contact/host mapping
documents to RFCs?

For example, can another domain mapping, which is 95%
the same with the current document, but with 5%
differences (not through extension, but via
modification), claim that it is EPP compliant for
domain registration? I would not think so, but I would
like to hear what the WG think.

Cheers,

--Hong