To: "Hollenbeck, Scott" <shollenbeck@verisign.com>, "'Edward Lewis'" <edlewis@arin.net>, ietf-provreg@cafax.se
Cc: jaap@sidn.nl
From: Edward Lewis <edlewis@arin.net>
Date: Thu, 5 Dec 2002 11:20:32 -0500
Sender: owner-ietf-provreg@cafax.se
Subject: RE: action items from our meeting in atlanta

Whether we promise guidelines or promise an extension, it's still a
promise.  And I'm doubtful that a promise will be satisfactory.

Now, as to what it would take to answer Randy's comment, I'm not
certain that we need a fully developed solution (meaning we don't try
to solve the world's privacy policy expression problems) but a means
to express policy statements at a finer grain that we now have.

At 11:00 -0500 12/5/02, Hollenbeck, Scott wrote:
>>  2) Randy's wanting more granularity in contact and
>>  <off-hand-it-escapes-me>
>>
>>  I'm doubtful that an answer saying 'we'll issue guidelines on this in
>>  another (future) document' will settle these two items.  We need to
>>  address these two directly to "pass."  However, it seems to me that
>>  it would be a really good idea to have guidelines for privacy
>>  extensions at some point - but I don't think that the promise of this
>>  will qualify as a answer.
>
>This is the one I was talking about, but I'm not suggesting guidelines --
>I'm talking about a real protocol extension.  You may be right about Randy's
>desire, but so far there's been no WG support for the idea of tagging
>individual elements as suggested by the IESG.
>
>-Scott-

Edward Lewis                                          +1-703-227-9854
ARIN Research Engineer

Home | Date list | Subject list