To: "Hollenbeck, Scott" <shollenbeck@verisign.com>
Cc: ietf-provreg@cafax.se
From: Joe Abley <jabley@isc.org>
Date: Tue, 26 Nov 2002 23:30:18 -0500
Sender: owner-ietf-provreg@cafax.se
Subject: Re: format of contents of <domain:curExpDate>

On Thursday, Nov 14, 2002, at 11:13 Canada/Eastern, Joe Abley wrote:

> On Thursday, Nov 14, 2002, at 08:56 Canada/Eastern, Hollenbeck, Scott
> wrote:
>
>> You seem to be thinking that the value for this particular field is
>> one that
>> needs to be either given to or retrieved from the registrant as part
>> of a
>> renewal operation -- it doesn't.
>
> [blah blah]
>
> If the procedure you suggested (rip the date part out of a
> <domain:curExpDate>, in whatever timezone was specified in that data)
> is what you intended, then the draft needs to specify:
>
>  (a) that procedure, and
>
>  (b) that the time zone used in all situations where a server can
> return a <domain:exDate> must be consistent when sending responses to
> a single registrar.

I had completely missed the paragraph near the beginning of the
domain-mapping, host-mapping and contact-mapping drafts which specifies
that all dates and times exchanged between server and client MUST be in
UTC. My bad. That would seem to take care of (b) above.

I still think it would be more consistent to use a dateTime type in
<domain:curExpDate>, but I can no longer think of an operational reason
to demand it. I hereby withdraw my previous long-winded and tedious
request :)

Joe

Home | Date list | Subject list