To: "'ietf-provreg@cafax.se'" <ietf-provreg@cafax.se>
From: Hong Liu <lhongsms@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Nov 2002 16:21:12 -0800 (PST)
Sender: owner-ietf-provreg@cafax.se
Subject: Re: Handling of External Host Objects

Dan, Scott, and Janusz,

As the person who re-opened this topic on the list, I
would also like to see a concrete proposal to get a
closure on this topic. It looks like the WG is leaning
towards reverting back to the single-copy model, but
is still unclear of how it should be done.

Whether external hosts are treated as an independent
object or an attribute to a domain object, the end
result seems to be the same: they are single-copy,
read-only entities by registrars once they are created
in the registry. This is the only sensible way to
avoid sponsorship monoply by any registrar who first
created an external host.

There are pros and cons for either approach. The
attribute approach is conceptually cleaner, but incurs
changes to many EPP commands such as create, update,
info, etc. The object approach is not as clean, but it
minimizes syntatical changes to EPP commands and keep
the host handling APIs similar. In the end, it really
boils down to the matter of taste. From implementation
point of view, the registry will create a DB object,
be it an attribute or object at the EPP level.

--Hong