To: "'Michael Graff'" <Michael_Graff@isc.org>
Cc: ietf-provreg@cafax.se
From: "Hollenbeck, Scott" <shollenbeck@verisign.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Nov 2002 07:06:04 -0500
Sender: owner-ietf-provreg@cafax.se
Subject: RE: EPP statuses and other questions

> So, once again, I'm back to thinking that we have a unique string (the
> old style "handle" mentality) in EPP.  Am I still not seeing
> something?
>
> If the riods aren't used externally, so they can be queried through
> say whois, why are they needed at all?  In that case, the domain name
> or host name really is enough.

The list archives are back up.  I'm no fan of ROIDs myself, but instead of
rehashing the debate that led to their inclusion in the protocol I'd suggest
that you go through the archives.  It starts about here:

http://www.cafax.se/ietf-provreg/maillist/2001-01/maillist.html

and goes on for quite a while.

-Scott-

Home | Date list | Subject list