To: Michael Graff <Michael_Graff@isc.org>
CC: "Hollenbeck, Scott" <shollenbeck@verisign.com>, ietf-provreg@cafax.se
From: Jens-Uwe Gaspar <jug@schlund.de>
Date: Thu, 21 Nov 2002 12:32:29 +0100
Sender: owner-ietf-provreg@cafax.se
Subject: Re: EPP statuses and other questions

Dear Michael,

Michael Graff wrote:

> "Hollenbeck, Scott" <shollenbeck@verisign.com> writes:
>
> > People said that they wanted to include additional information describing
> > why a status has been applied, to add clarifying info, etc.  The server
> > might not care about the reason, but it's not necessarily there for server
> > interpretation -- it's there because it describes something about the
> > object.
>
> I still don't think the registry is the place for this additional
> information.  I'm certain people want to store things like credit
> card numbers to bill people with, but the registry isn't the place for
> that, either.  I know my example here is absurd, but since the data
> isn't there for the operation of the registry, it should not be in
> the registry, IMHO.
>
> Why flags were set on domains, hosts, etc. seems like it should go into
> the registrar database, instead.  But, I understand why it's there,
> even if I think it's a mistake.  :)

Sure, that kind of information can be stored in the registrar-database.
But we prefer that it is stored in the registry. It often happens, that
a domain has to be set on lock-status for UDRP/WIPO/injunctions.
Even so we store a comment like

  'domain locked at 21-Jan-2002 by request of somebody (UDRP)'

in our registrar-database, we also attach it as comment to the
lock-status in the registry. The registry holds in our case the
authoritative information.

The registry is a good place for it, so our customer support can
easily see the cause for the lock/hold from a registry-request only
(by some internal info-server).

Kind regards,

Jens-Uwe Gaspar

Jens-Uwe Gaspar                              Schlund + Partner AG
E-Mail: jug@schlund.de                       Erbprinzenstr. 4 - 12
Tel. +49-721-91374-50                        76133 Karlsruhe, Germany
Fax  +49-721-91374-20                        http://www.schlund.de

Home | Date list | Subject list