To: "'ietf-provreg@cafax.se'" <ietf-provreg@cafax.se>
From: Daniel Manley <dmanley@tucows.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Nov 2002 15:48:01 -0500
Sender: owner-ietf-provreg@cafax.se
Subject: Re: Handling of External Host Objects (in the context of domain transfer)

Title:
I've been reading over this thread a bit more to get a better understanding.  I didn't see any response to this sub-thread created by Hong (though perhaps it's been beat to death and I just haven't gotten to that part yet).

I believe that Hong's suggestion in this additional wording:

> "A transfer request or approval MUST fail with EPP error code 2305 if host
> objects representing the external hosts _do not exist_ for the requesting
> client at the time a transfer request is made and at the time the transfer
> request is approved."
It seems to essentially echo Asbjorn's comment earlier in [1] regarding automagically swapping the host references out of convenience.  I personally like this suggestion -- I wish somehow this was possible with contacts.  It helps simplify the domain transfer process.

Dan

[1] http://www.cafax.se/ietf-provreg/maillist/2002-10/msg00102.html

Liu, Hong a écrit:
Jim, Asbjorn,

There are two topics that are intervined on this thread of discussions:

(1) The wording on handling (multi-copy) external hosts for domain transfer,
and
(2) Single-copy vs. multi-copy for external host objects

In this email, I would like to address (1). I will change the thread to more
accurately reflect the discussion in a follow-up email.

For completeness, let me quote the paragraph in epp domain -05 again:

"DNS domains can be delegated to external hosts. If a domain has been
delegated to an external host, a client MUST have created a host object for
each delegation to an external host before requesting a domain transfer. A
transfer request or approval MUST fail with EPP error code 2305 if host
objects representing the external hosts are not managed by the requesting
client at the time a transfer request is made and at the time the transfer
request is approved."

The main problem I have is with the last sentence "...MUST fail...if...are
not managed by the requesting client...". Maybe the better wording would be:

"A transfer request or approval MUST fail with EPP error code 2305 if host
objects representing the external hosts _do not exist_ for the requesting
client at the time a transfer request is made and at the time the transfer
request is approved."

Then add the following sentence:

"If the appropriate external hosts exist at the time of a transfer approve
or transfer auto-approve, then the registry SHOULD update the external host
references for the domain from the losing registrar to the gaining registrar
at the same time the pendingTransfer status is removed and the sponsoring
registrar is changed."

Thoughts?

--Hong