To: "'Stephane Bortzmeyer'" <bortzmeyer@nic.fr>
Cc: ietf-provreg@cafax.se
From: "Hollenbeck, Scott" <shollenbeck@verisign.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Nov 2002 07:27:53 -0500
Sender: owner-ietf-provreg@cafax.se
Subject: RE: Is is mandatory for an object to belong to a registrar?

I also don't use the term "registrar" anywhere in the documents.  "Client"
is used instead, and a client can be anything that talks to the server.

> > "manage", etc. seemed like more neutral terms.  I don't
> think you'll find a
> > single use of the word "own" to describe the client-object
> relationship in
> > the specs
>
> Right, but not the point.

Sorry, but I think it's very relevent.  You suggested that registrars "own"
objects, and I'm saying that they don't.

> > The answer to your question is "yes".  The current protocol
> specifications
> > allow implementation of a model where contacts can not be
> transferred.
>
> I was more specific: a model where contacts are not tied to a
> registrar. For instance, <info> should not mandate:
>
>   - A <contact:clID> element that contains the identifier of the
>   sponsoring client.
>
> (There is a <contact:crID> element if you want historical information
> about who created a contact.)

The model is one where objects are managed by some client.  If you're asking
if the <contact:clID> is optional in an <info> response, it's not.  If
you're suggesting that it should be, I would disagree.  Someone or something
has to be the authoritative management agent for an object.

Now, if you're asking if that agent has to be a registrar the answer is
"no".  One might develop a model where the agent is the server (or a
registry operator to use the registry-registrar terms you've used) itself.

-Scott-

Home | Date list | Subject list