To: "Hollenbeck, Scott" <shollenbeck@verisign.com>
CC: "'ietf-provreg@cafax.se'" <ietf-provreg@cafax.se>
From: Daniel Manley <dmanley@tucows.com>
Date: Wed, 06 Nov 2002 19:17:02 -0500
Sender: owner-ietf-provreg@cafax.se
Subject: Re: Handling of External Host Objects

And from out of nowhere...  ;)

Hollenbeck, Scott a écrit:

><snip>
>
>This solution does not allow object-based management of external hosts,
>which means that renaming the external host would need to be done on a
>per-name basis.  It may address the other issues that people have talked
>about on this thread, though.

I see how this could resolve/avoid a lot of potential problems
(transfers, ownership, etc), but with these new gTLDs, I would guess
that the majority of nameservers in use are non-authoritative to the
registries, so registrars would lose the ability to do mass updates as
with nameservers as objects.  I don't think I would want to give this
up.  As a registrar, I would have to write scripts to perform mass
updates, taking up processing time on both the client and the server
systems.

--
Daniel Manley
Tucows, Inc.