To: Rick Wesson <wessorh@ar.com>
cc: Eric Brunner-Williams in Portland Maine <brunner@nic-naa.net>, shollenbeck@verisign.com, "'ietf-provreg@cafax.se'" <ietf-provreg@cafax.se>, ietf-not43@lists.verisignlabs.com, iesg@ietf.org, brunner@nic-naa.net
From: Eric Brunner-Williams in Portland Maine <brunner@nic-naa.net>
Date: Sun, 27 Oct 2002 09:29:03 -0500
Sender: owner-ietf-provreg@cafax.se
Subject: Re: Last-Verified Date Contact Element

Rick,

I asked:

> > What prevents a client providing some authInfo from also attempting to set
> > upID and set or modify upDate?

You replied:

> the updated date and last-modified date are managed by the registry.

Here's what I ment:

The <contact:upID> is an <info> response element that contains the identifier
of the client that last updated the contact object. The <contact:clID> element
that contains the identifier of the sponsoring client. This client has the
valid authInfo, and can perform an <update> on the contact object in question.
If that client wants to date-stamp/touch a client object for the purpose of
associating some temporal identifier to "verification" (and I still don't
know wha that means), isn't this the recipie? This either sets or modifies
the <contact:upID> and sets or modifies the <contact:upDate>.

It is true these elements are managed by the registry, but they are done so

I guess I'm still in the dark about the mechanism, as well as the purpose,
and utility.

Color me clueless,
Eric

Home | Date list | Subject list